Join the Bobcat Family
To help limit COVID-19 risk to our prospective students and community, we have elected to suspend on-campus visit programs and tours starting March 16, 2020 and shift to virtual visits. We understand that experiencing our campus is a critical part of your college decision, and would like to extend as many online resource options to you as possible. To learn about our virtual visit programs, opportunities, and additional information, please visit our virtual visit website.
Prospective Student Checklist
Become a part of Montana's premier university! Are you unsure of how to get started?
Follow the steps below in the Prospective Student Checklist!
Want to see a personalized version of your admissions checklist? Visit our MyInfo login instructions page to learn how to log in to your MyInfo dashboard.
1. Apply for Admission
New students may apply for admission at any time without all the necessary required materials. Applicants will be notified of missing or incomplete documents needed to complete the admissions process.
- Apply online.
- Request that your official ACT or SAT test scores be sent directly to the Office of Admissions from ACT (MSU school code is 2420) or SAT (MSU school code is 4488) testing company (required for freshman applicants).
- Request that all of your final, official college transcript(s), Advanced Placement, and/or International Baccalaureate be sent directly to the Office of Admissions, if applicable.
- Before or after you have applied for admission, MSU encourages you to visit the Montana State University campus or attend an MSU Friday (open to all students and family members).
- After you have applied, track your admissions status online at MyInfo. Log in using either your MSU Student ID or your Social Security Number and click on “Admissions Checklist”. If you need help signing into MyInfo, please see our MyInfo login instruction page.
2. Apply for Financial Aid
- As soon as possible after October 1, submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Include MSU in Bozeman as one of your college choices on the FAFSA. MSU's FAFSA Federal school code is 002532. Visit our Financial Aid website for more information.
- Montana State University awards millions of dollars in scholarships and waiver awards
to new students who enter in the fall of each year. You might qualify for some of
this money based on your academic record, financial need, group affiliation, or a
combination of the three. If you qualify, some scholarships and awards are automatically awarded when you are
offered admission to Montana State University. Visit our scholarships website for more information
- Inquire about College and Departmental New Freshman and Transfer Scholarships Applications within each MSU College and Department.
- If eligible, apply for VA educational benefits by contacting the Veteran's Affairs Office at (406) 994-3661.
- If eligible, explore opportunities available to Native American students, including tuition waivers and scholarships.
3. Apply for Housing
- Submit your housing application. If you do not know your MSU Student ID you can leave that field blank.
- If you have less than 30 semester credits (post-high school graduation) and will be attending Montana State as a full-time student, you are required to live in the residence halls, unless you are a single parent, a married student or complete the exemption process for another reason.
- Graduates, single parents, and married students can find out about Family and Graduate Housing opportunities by visiting our Family and Graduate Student Housing website or call (406) 994-3730.
4. Submit Immunization Records
4. Submit Immunization Records
- A list of required immunizations, the Immunization Form, and the Tuberculosis Screening form can be found on the University Health Partners website.
- For students entering in fall 2018 and beyond, please submit your required immunization data by logging into your University Health Partners portal, or email them to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You must send proof of required immunizations and the Tuberculosis Screening Form to the MSU Student Health Service at least three weeks before your Orientation session. Proof of immunization is required to register for classes.
5. Submit Orientation/Class Registration Materials
- Information on orientation/registration is sent to students who are accepted for admission. Students entering in the fall will receive orientation information in spring shortly after they are admitted. Register online though the MyInfo student information system. Students entering in spring or summer terms will receive orientation information a couple of months prior to the start of the term or shortly after they are admitted.
- Attend New Student Orientation. Information and the session dates can be found online
at the Orientation and Class Registration website.
- Once you have attended Orientation and registered for classes you will need to confirm your attendance. Log into the MyInfo website to confirm your attendance.
- Orientation registration for students entering in the fall of 2019 will open on January 14th.
6. Submit Final High School Transcript
MSU requires that each incoming freshman student submits a final, official high school transcript for evaluation. Transfer students do not need to submit a high school transcript.
- Request that your final, official transcript posting final grades and graduation date be sent directly to the Office of Admissions from the high school.
- Your official transcript must be sent directly from your high school to our office via mail or a secure online submission service. Unofficial mailed, faxed, or emailed copies from students or parents cannot be accepted.
- There is no need for freshman applicants to have partial transcripts sent to MSU.
Please wait and request your final transcript after you graduate from high school.
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 172190
Bozeman, Montana 59717-2190
Allen Yarnell Center for Student Success - Disability Services
Information on accommodation options and support resources can be found at the Disability Services website.