History and Overview:
Montana State University (MSU) is updating its database for students and employees to allow for the use of a chosen name. During Phase One, MSU did a thorough review of their integrated systems to assess their current capacity to integrate a chosen name into these systems. As we begin Phase Two, we are looking for students who would like to assist MSU in a pilot project to test the chosen name option.
MSU will be looking at how the systems auto update, if the auto update results in information reverting back to a legal name, and how processes that require a legal name interact with a chosen name field in our systems. The goal is to find glitches, streamline processes, and develop an accessible system for students and employees to integrate a chosen name into their campus identity.
Participant Eligibility and Expectations:
- Priority for participation in Phase Two will be students who are (a) currently enrolled students at the MSU-Bozeman campus only and (b) whose right to use a chosen name is protected under state and/or federal civil rights law.
- We cannot guarantee that all applicants will be accepted to participate in this pilot.
- During Phase Two, individuals who are benefits eligible employees and also enrolled as students are not eligible for this pilot program.
- It is expected that any student who participates is using a chosen name as a sincerely held belief and not for the purpose of misrepresentation.
- There may be times when a participant’s legal name is used instead of their chosen name due to system glitches or unexpected issues.
- A participant’s legal name may be viewable to MSU employees.
- A participant may be asked to test certain functions (such as requesting a transcript) so that we can test a system for glitches to correct.
- A participant will be asked to complete surveys and provide feedback to ensure the process has the highest levels of privacy and respect possible.
Complete Chosen Name Application
denotes required fields.