MSU Quick Facts Fall 2016-17
Classified employees include union exempt and eleven bargaining unit union affiliations
- MPEA-Montana Public Employees Association
- Montana Nurses Association
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters
- Pacific Northwest Regional Council of Carpenters
- Montana District Council of Laborers
- Maintenance Painters Union
- United Association of Plumbers & Pipefitters
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- AFSCME-American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees
- International Union of Operating Engineers – Heating Plant and Mechanic Shop
There are 1,233 classified employees in five categorized groups
- Classified Professional, 367
- Secretarial/Clerical, 201
- Technical/Paraprofessional, 280
- Skilled Craft, 61
- Service/Maintenance, 324
- 82% work full-time and 18% work part-time
- All classified categories increased the number of employees over the fall 2015-16 data
- 30% will reach retirement age within the next 4 years
- 36% of the MSU workforce is classified employees, 23% professional, 39% faculty, and 2 % administration
Staff Senate and Its Mission
Staff Senate is the voice of the classified staff. It is a results-oriented peer organization that enhances the role of classified employees in shared governance by creating a culture of optimism, teamwork, creativity, resourcefulness, and by dealing with everyone in an open and ethical manner.
The Staff Senate was established in 1976 by President William Tietz as a means of facilitating communication and cooperation among classified staff, and communication with administration in the development of general decisions and policies which affect classified employees. The Senate is intended to promote collaborative efforts by classified staff with others on campus in mutual efforts to effectively and efficiently carry out the land-grant mission at Montana State University, Bozeman.
Staff Senate and Its Areas of Responsibility
The purpose of Staff Senate is to promote and provide for improved working conditions and the professional welfare of the classified employees of Montana State University by: facilitating communication and cooperation between the classified staff of MSU Bozeman and Associated Students of MSU (ASMSU), MSU administration, Faculty Senate, Professional Council, all appropriate Montana University System organizations, and the Board of Regents; representing the classified employees of MSU on university committees and other appropriate MSU organizations; promoting the improvement of higher education in the State of Montana; assisting in the development of staff training programs and policies; and carrying out such other goals and activities as the Staff Senate determines to be consistent with the purpose of the Staff Senate, the administration of MSU Bozeman, and the promotion and practice of shared governance.
How to Participate
Staff Senate meetings are held on the third Wednesday of each month. Meetings are open to the public, all are welcome. Agendas, minutes, and meeting schedule are available on the web at www.montana.edu/staffsenate.
Staff input is essential to Staff Senate's ability to convey the classified voice. We encourage you to attend Staff Senate meetings, participate in surveys and other feedback media, and become involved in shared governance activities.
Updated February 8, 2017